f The Wittenberg Door: Notable Quote: Francis Schaeffer

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My Photo
Name:

Commenting on Christendom, culture, history, and other oddities of life from an historic Protestant perspective.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Notable Quote: Francis Schaeffer

Francis Schaeffer (1912 – 1984) on covetousness . . .

We should love men enough not to envy, and this is not only envy for money, it is for everything. It can for instance be envy of his spiritual gifts. There is a simple test for this. Natural desires have become coveting against a fellow creature, one of our kind, a fellow man, when we have a mentality that would give us secret satisfaction at this misfortune. If a man has something, and he loses it, do we have an inward pleasure? A secret satisfaction at this loss? Do not speak too quickly and say it is never so, because you will make yourself a liar . . . it this mentality is upon me, in any way, then my natural desires have become coveting. I am inwardly coveting and I am not loving men as I should.

True Spirituality

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home